- Community Development
- Building Inspection
Welcome to the Residential Building Division, we are committed to upholding the requirements of the Ohio Residential Code to ensure the safety and integrity of residential structures. Our division plays a crucial role in overseeing a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Inspection Expertise:
- We conduct inspections of new constructions, alterations, additions, and repairs for one, two, and three-family dwellings within our city. Our goal is to verify compliance with the Residential Code of Ohio.
- Plan Review:
- Our team reviews plans for new structures, ensuring they meet the necessary criteria for construction. This step allows us to identify any potential issues before the building process begins.
- Site Plan Evaluation:
- We carefully assess site plans to ensure proper placement and adherence to regulations, taking into account factors such as zoning requirements, accessibility, and environmental considerations.
- Maintenance and Safety Inspections:
- We conduct inspections on existing structures to address maintenance and safety concerns, ensuring that residents are protected and living in secure environments.
- Post-Catastrophe Assessments:
- In the unfortunate event of a fire or other catastrophic incidents, we perform follow-up inspections to evaluate the extent of damage and determine the structural safety, enabling affected individuals to rebuild and recover.
- Permits and Inspections:
- We facilitate the permitting process and conduct inspections for various structures, including electrical rewires, service upgrades, HVAC installations, porch enclosures or overhangs, room additions, sheds, and detached garages. Our focus is on compliance and safety in these vital residential components.
To regulate construction, alterations, repairs, and additions, our city has adopted the Residential Code of Ohio. Additionally, we have implemented the necessary measures outlined in the National Electrical Code to ensure the proper installation and maintenance of electrical systems.
Please Note: For permitting and plan review of Commercial and Industrial buildings, we recommend contacting the Miami County Building Department at 937-658-6220. They specialize in these specific areas and will provide you with the dedicated assistance you require.
We are here to support you throughout the building process, ensuring compliance, safety, and the realization of your vision. Reach out to our team with any questions or to initiate the necessary steps for your project.
For Commercial and Industrial Zoning requirements please reference Procedure for Site Plan Approval in permits and applications tab.
- Residential Code of Ohio (RCO) 2019
- National Electrical Code, 2017
- Sidney Building Codes
- Significant Code changes (2019)