In 1912, the City of Sidney purchased the property located at 304 SW Avenue for $1,800 in anticipation of the Ohio National Guard building an armory in this location. February of the following year, Company, 3rd Infantry, Ohio National Guard, stationed in Sidney received a letter approving the funds to build the armory. It was the fourth of five armories built in Ohio in 1913.
The city again purchased the property and building in 1968 from the State for $18,000. They then leased the building to the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA until 1974, when the YMCA opened the current building on Parkwood Avenue.
Monarch Machine Tool Company
The Monarch Machine Tool Company took ownership in 1975, renovated the building and used the facility for company functions.
Senior Center Opened
In January of 1997, the City again purchased the Cameo Theater, and changed the name to the Monarch Community Center; it was leased to the Senior Center of Sidney-Shelby County that same year. The Senior Center was opened on September 9, 1997 and is the home of the Senior's from Shelby County. It is maintained by the city’s Parks and Recreation Department.