At 12:12 a.m. on June 23, 2023, Sidney firefighters were dispatched to Auria of Sidney at 2000 Schlater Drive for a machine on fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters found light smoke issuing out of plant from ventilation units and an overhead door on the southwest corner of the plant. Crews made entry through the overhead door with a hand line to extinguish the fire. The fiber material in the machine was the only product burning.
Crews completed quick extinguishment of the machine and checked the ductwork above for extension. Two aerial devices were utilized to allow crews to check for extension to the multiple roof levels above the machine.
The fire loss to the machine is estimated at $100,000. Exposure damage was noted to the ceiling above the machine.
Crews were on scene for an hour for extinguishment and overhaul of the machine.
Eight personnel were recalled to staff Fire Station #1 while the incident was ongoing. Crews handled multiple calls in the city during this time.
No injuries were noted to firefighters or plant employees.
The cause of the fire is probable overheating of material in the molding process.
Jason Truesdale, Assistant Chief