At 7:22 p.m. on May 22, 2023, Sidney firefighters were dispatched to 300 E. Parkwood for a chemical reaction in the basement. The original call stated that the chemical was 10 ounces of Chlorine poured into a 40-gallon tank of Sulfuric Acid creating a chlorine gas in the basement.
Upon Sidney Fire Department arrival, they found a large commercial building with no evacuation in progress. Crews made entry with a series of detectors and confirmed that there was an active chemical reaction in a labeled Sulfuric Acid container in the basement. Chlorine gas substance was emitting from a 40-gallon tank of Sulfuric Acid.
Crews assisted in the evacuation of the building. Firefighters and the Shelby County Hazmat team mitigated the situation with offloading the chemical into an over pack drum while conducting air monitoring throughout the building.
The building manager stated that one of his personnel left the scene after evacuation and self-transported to Wilson Health ER for evaluation. No other injuries or illnesses were reported during the incident.
A box alarm was requested to recall all off-duty Sidney personnel, along with Shelby County Hazmat team, Anna Fire Department, Lockington Fire Department, Perry Port Salem Medic, Ohio EPA, Shelby County EMA, and Salvation Army were contacted for support.
The Sidney Police Department assisted in traffic control of the area.
Jason Truesdale, Asst. Chief