Sidney Fire and EMS crews were dispatched to a report of a gas leak in the area of Fair Rd. and Walnut Avenue on December 9, 2020. Medic 1 and Quint 3 arrived to find that a construction crew had dug up a natural gas line approximately two inches in diameter and the line was releasing a large amount of natural gas. Command was established and contact was made with construction crew. Fire crews were advised that there was a female occupant still in the residence to which the gas line was in front of. The area was shut down to traffic and a supply line from a nearby hydrant was secured. Crew deployed hand lines to the area to provide protection to the entry team that made their way to the rear of the house to evacuate the female and her pet.
The hot, warm and cold zones were established and crews started monitoring and evacuating areas downwind of the leak. Approximately 10 to 12 houses were evacuated and several people left the area. A Shelby Transit bus was called to the scene to provide warmth and transportation to a temporary shelter established at the Senior Center.
The gas outage affected approximately 30 residences and Vectren was working to restore gas service. Occupants were allowed to return to their homes once was the gas was secured.
Crews remained on scene for two hours until Vectren could excavate and clamp the line to control the leaking gas. There were no injuries to civilians or Sidney Fire personnel. The Salvation Army also assisted firefighters on scene.