March 25, 2020
Essential Business Determinations
The city has been asked on a number of occasions if it can declare a local business as “essential” under the Ohio Department of Health orders. The answer is, “The city does not have the authority to declare any business essential or not.” Lieutenant Governor Husted addressed this very issue in his press conference remarks yesterday. Here’s a breakdown of what was said :
• Business leaders should read the order in its plain language along with the guidance from homeland security. Use your good judgment on the intent.
• Businesses do not need a letter or a certification to show compliance.
• Be prepared to have a rationale/justification on how the order applies to your business if questioned by an employee, local health dept. official, etc.
• Do not call law enforcement or local health department to interpret the order for your business
• If your business is clearly not qualified, someone will eventually call you on it.
• If your business qualifies and is open, they must comply with all safety and health precautions the Administration has discussed, and is included in the order.
To download a copy of the Ohio Department of Health orders visit: coronavirus.ohio.gov