WWTP History in Sidney | City of Sidney Ohio
City of Sidney Ohio

Sidney Ohio Events CalendarSidney Ohio Facebook PageSidney Ohio Twitter Page


 

 

Wastewater Treatment Plant History in Sidney

Barry Zerkle– Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent
Phone: (937) 498-8721
Fax: (937) 498-8169
bzerkle@sidneyoh.com

·  1955 - The Sidney Wastewater Treatment Plant was originally designed . The average design flow was 2.0 MGD (million gallons per day) with a pollutant load of 200 mg/l (milligrams per liter).

·  1956 - The facility was completed in the summer of 1956 and placed into service in November 1956.

·  1965 - The secondary process was modified to include sludge re-aeration.

·  1968 - Facility capacity was expanded to a nominal 3.0 MGD with the addition of a new pump station, grit tank, primary settling tank, final settling tank, primary digester, and chlorine contact tanks.

·  1988 - major facility improvements were completed to provide activated sludge with single stage nitrification to meet the revised NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) discharge that became effective July 1, 1988. The improvements included:

·  Replaced the outdated comminutor and raw pumps with new equipment

·  Modifications to the existing aerated grit tank

·  Reconditioning the existing primary clarifier and constructing a new primary clarifier

·  Addition of two additional aeration tanks and a new blower building,

·  Addition of a new final clarifier,

·  Improvements to the disinfection system

·  Replacement of the mixers on the existing primary digester.

·  A new Administration Building and laboratory were also constructed as part of the 1988 improvements.

·  1993 - Construction was completed on a flow equalization basin. Capacity of the detention basins is 2.2 million gallons (MG), and provides flow equalization during periods of high plant flow that exceed treatment capacity.

·  2001 - Construction was completed of a major expansion that increased the average daily design flow rating from 5.0 MGD to 7.0 MGD with a peak flow rating of 14.0 MGD. Improvements included:

·  Expansion to the influent pump station increasing pumping capacity from 21 MGD to 36 MGD

·  Installation of a mechanical fine screen

·  Addition of chemical addition to the influent for odor control

·  Expansion to the aeration basins to increase hydraulic and organic loading capacity

·  Addition of a secondary clarifier

·  Replaced outdated disinfection equipment

·  Addition of centrifuge dewatering for biosolids

·  Major improvements to automation and monitoring equipment (SCADA system)

·  2004 - Modifications to the influent sewers were completed including the replacement of a mechanical bar screen with a 40 MGD capacity channel grinder.

·  2009 - Planning study completed to identify future improvements.

 

 

 

Back to Top