Parks & Recreation
Canal Feeder Trail
415 S. Vandemark Rd.
The Canal Feeder Trail can be accessed in three areas:
This section of path begins at the southwest corner of Sidney’s Graceland Cemetery and parallels the Miami River in a southwesterly direction. This path can be accessed either from Graceland Cemetery or from the Maple Leaf Subdivision or, for walkers only, along Westlake Drive.
In 2010, again with the assistance of Ohio Department of Transportation Enhancement Grant ($342,200), the second section of approximately 4000 feet was improved south to the City’s south corporate boundary, almost two-thirds of the way to Vandemark Road.
A bit of history is in order. In the 1840’s, the Sidney Feeder Canal was built to move Miami River water at a higher elevation to serve the four Lockington Canal Locks. It also provided the City of Sidney and Port Jefferson with canal boat access to transport goods and materials.
This canal path on the feeder canal was built on the side of a 100 foot ± slope along the south border of the City of Sidney. This is a heavily wooded section, home of a large number of native species of birds, mammals and other animal life. It is also a lineal strip preserving natural vegetation, including spring wildflowers, mushrooms, hardwoods, papaw trees, etc. The path also provides direct access to the many Miami River fishing locations as the river flows toward the City of Piqua.
Dedication of the first section of the trail was held in conjunction with National Trail Day on June 7, 2008, with many state and local dignitaries attending. The second phase of the trail was dedicated on a cool fall morning on October 29, 2010, with local government officials, and citizens joining the celebration. On July 13th, 2011 the last section was officially named Stilwell Stretch in honor of former City Manager, Steve Stilwell.